Serves approx 2¼ (2 adults & 1 toddler), prep time 5 mins, cooking time 35 mins
- 200g pasta shapes
- 2 small onions
- 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- tin of tuna (approx 200g)
- small tin of sweetcorn (approx 195g)
- 100ml half fat crème fraiche (half a small tub)
- 100g grated cheese
1. Pre-heat the oven to 220C (200C for fan assisted ovens). Chop the onions and sauté them on a medium heat, a non-stick frying pan works well for this. Once the onions are slightly seethrough, add the chopped tomatoes and the crème fraiche. Turn the heat down a touch and let it simmer to get a thicker consistency. Meanwhile put the pasta on for the amount of time indicated on the packet.
2. Add the tuna and sweetcorn to the sauce to heat through. Drain your pasta and mix in with the sauce. Transfer everything to an ovenproof dish and sprinkle with the cheese.
3. Put in the oven for 20 minutes or until the cheese is golden and bubbling. Serve with cucumber on a plastic Winnie the Pooh plate for that extra professional touch.
To make the dish more flavoursome you can add things like: a splash of balsamic vinegar, a tablespoon of dried dill, a tablespoon of tomato puree, a tablespoon of capers, and of course salt & pepper.
To make it more creamy you can use full fat crème fraiche, use a whole tub instead of half or use single cream instead.
The quantities in this recipe are easily increased or reduced.
I don’t add salt to my recipes, you may wish to add salt (it doesn’t need it in my opinion).
Definitely let your toddler help himself with the serving spoon.