A few weeks ago I got the nicest surprise, my cousin Victoria asked me if she could commission a painting from me! I was a bit nervous but also really excited and once I’d spoken to her about the subject matter and colour preferences I got straight to work. I documented the process with my iPhone as I was working, because I thought you might like to see how I create a painting from start to finish!
Victoria is a harpist and owns several herself. I loved working on this piece because I have such a connection with music too. She asked for pink and turquoise which was totally up my street as those are my favourite colours!
01. Music stamp for the background using waterproof black ink (Ranger Archival)
02. Gluing down a layer of book pages from a music encyclopedia with Mod Podge
03. Starting to add some colour with Neocolor II crayons
04. Adding more intense colour with Neocolor II crayons
05. Drawing & painting the figure and harp (I think I got so into it at this point that I forgot to take pics of the sketch!)
06. Working on little details in the eyes, face, dress & harp
07. Adding little music notes by pushing modelling paste through a stencil
08. Finishing up by creating more grungy effects, embossing the harp strings and adding stamped text
09. All finished!
If you are interested in commissioning a painting, please contact me to discuss it!